FC2 test 1

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 01:16:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 18:39, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> > > I just had a look at the FC2 test 1 download for iso's and it is 4 cd's,
> > > plus a nother 4 for the SRPM's. Wow,
> > Yea, it's not what anyone really wants. Suggestions on what to remove are
> > most welcome. :)
> all the kernel rpms are together around 100MB... ;)

kernel-source takes up the bulk of this, weighing in at 40MB.
That's not going to get any smaller. The actual kernel images
are around 16MB each, and there's only 4 of them.
(i586/i586-smp/i686/i686-smp)

We're actually shipping *less* kernel RPMs than FC1.
- No Athlon build
- No 386 build
- No bigmem build
- No debug build (though this will change for the final FC2)

I'm not sure we can actually trim it any further without losing
functionality that some folks may want, or punishing low-end users.

We could lose the UP 586 build, and only ship the 586-smp kernel,
which should run fine, but at a slight performance loss.
Frankly, to save 16MB I don't think its worth it.

	Dave