Installation Issue

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Fri Feb 13 15:22:28 UTC 2004

Uttered "John Parsons" <J.Parsons at sstl.co.uk>, spake thus:

> I'm trying to install Fedora to a 20Gb disk that has been partitioned up
> as follows:
>
> /boot
> /
> /tmp
> /var
> /usr
> /usr/local
> /opt
> Swap
>
> My /boot partition is 100Mb and the / partition is 250.  However, after
> setting all the install options, the process terminates telling me I
> don't have enough disk space.  I can't find anything that tells me what
> the minimum size is for any partition and wondered if anybody could shed
> some light on my problem.

Keep in mind that every EXT3 system burns at least 30MB for the
journal file, in *every* EXT3 partition.

For an individual's system, a swap, a "/", a "/boot" and a "/home"
partition is usually enough.  If you're compiling and adding several
custom packages, an "/opt" partition might be worth the trouble.
A server configuration might use as many partitions as you've
indicated.

I never allow "/boot" to be an EXT3 partition: it's almost never
written to (consider remounting it RO) and using an EXT2 partition
here saves me a lot of wasted space.  Unless you want to keep tons of
old kernel files lying around, a 32MB "/boot" should be fine.  (The
Anaconda configurator will grumble during the installation about this
being too little, but Anaconda wants to make it an EXT3 partition.)  YMMV.