Newbie imigration from win to linux

Darrin Auxier dsalinux at cox.net
Sun Feb 15 04:52:37 UTC 2004

jad madi wrote:

>hi guys
>what you recomend for VERY newbie 96h back
>I am running fedora core 1 right now
>but I'm Struggling with it
>do you recomend another distro for VERY newbie and have no enough time
>to compile and download ?

It sounds like you're installed, up, and running; so I assume that what
you're struggling with is getting things that worked
on that other system (whats-its-name) to work on Fedora.

I've just switched over to Fedora as my "main" OS (translation: I
finally got the wife's buy-in)
Anyway, I found myself needing to find a lot of replacement software for
Linux.

The following links helped tremendously :

Search for the software you're looking for http://www.icewalkers.com/
Search the Gnome software map : http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/list
Search the archives of this list for user opinions :
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2>
Open Office Extras : http://ooextras.sourceforge.net/
Many people don't realize that http://www.google.com/ has an extensive
collection of clipart if you click on the "images" tab.  It's a great
repository to use to replace all those Word Clipart images.

A couple of other tips:
installing from RPM is the way to go if available
search the archives for "yum" - it will download and install updates for you
emelfm (http://emelfm.sourceforge.net/) is an excellent file manager,
much faster than nautilus, and highly customizable to fit your needs