User Linux

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Feb 15 07:04:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 12:59, Travis Riddle wrote:

> You also can't go to your local Computer Store and buy any piece of
> hardware you want and have a 99% chance of it working first time with
> the drivers that are included with it.  Windows users can.  Certianly
> there is hardware that is compatible, and its coming around, but its
> not there yet.

	I've been doing this for years and haven't had any problems.  YMMV, of
course.

> > "yum install <appname>"
>
> You think this sounds so easy.  To the average computer user that
> makes no sense.  Where do they get the appname from?  Do they have to
> subscribe to newsgroups and mailing lists and scoure the web to figure
> out what they need?  They already do that, its called Download.com, or
> Tucows, or whatever.

	Ph please.  They don't even do that.  They go into a store or online
and buy software (or get "evaluation" copies from friends).

> Did I sound upset?  I am certianly not upset, I was more going for
> here is the deal, take it or leave it.  I have seen the
> transformation.  I have been a Unix Sys Admin for 12 years.  I have
> installed Slackware, Debian, RH X and FC1.  I do know its easier than
> it has ever been.  Its just not as easy as windows, no matter how rose
> colored the glasses are.  And guess what, Windows is getting better,
> and more stable.  Its not going to be an easy battle.

	This really depends on what you're trying to do.  See
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6562.

> I am not saying that Linux on the Desktop won't happen.  Its just not
> there yet, and there is a LONG way to go.

	The only thing I'd argue, really, is the "LONG".  Right now Linux is
more than ready for the desktop for many, many, many people and
situations.  Xandros, Linuxws & Lycoris are all more than capable of
replacing WinXX 95% of the time.  OEone's HomeBase is the outright best
distro for the "I only want to surf, do email, keep my calender & write
some letters" crowd (a group that is much bigger than anyone thinks, I
might add).  RHEL WS and SUSE are the top business offerings with Fedora
and Debian being for the hackers/techies/fiddlers among us.  And there's
even Slackware for those who like to live close to the bare metal.

	At this point in time Linux is capable of filling more roles, from
embedded micro-electronic devices to mega clusters and 95% of the
"desktop" needs, than any other OS in existence.

--
Akebono vs Godzilla!  Coming soon to a theater near you.