SCSI needs

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sun Feb 15 18:30:34 UTC 2004

Patrick Nelson wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 13:58, Patrick Nelson wrote:

> > FC1 uptodate with yum.

> > I have to move a scsi drive to a system because the system that it is on
> > is old and is failing...  Problem is that I don't have a SCSI card in
> > any of my other systems.  I went looking in my ole' bin of computer
> > cards and found 2 IDE SCSI cards:

> >   Adaptec AHA-1520A
> >   Adaptec AHA-1540CF

> > The 1520 has jumpers on it and I have no idea what they are, but the
> > 1540 has a toggle switch block with a lable on the back of the card
> > documenting the toggles.  Great...

> > But I was wondering should I even try either of these or buy (or search
> > for) another version.  I'm running out of time with the failing system
> > and kind of want to resolve this quicker.  Any suggestions to how to
> > setup the 1540 or a better course of action?

> Have waited for any reply...  So if no one has understanding of 1540
> what scsi card should I purchase that is supported and works well?

> Please any help is appreciated.

You definitely want to avoid 154x devices in PCI systems if performance
matters to you.

If money is no object, any Adaptec PCI HBA will do. If cost is
important, any HBA built around the NCR/Symbios/LSI Logic 53c8xx series
chips is very well supported, and most if not all the newer ones as
well. Compaq, Asus and LSI itself among others make these devices. All
my systems use 53c8xx SCSI, most the LSI SYM8751SP, which is an ultra
SCSI (SE) device with a single bus and both 50 pin and 68 pin connectors
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3459360066>.
http://fieldhome.net:9080/scsi_faq//scsifaq.html
--
"I place economy among the first and most important of republican
virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/