Cable modem, router, and nic

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Sun Feb 15 22:29:18 UTC 2004

On February 10, 2004 11:52 am, Robin Laing wrote:
> Router can also provide some firewall features providing more
> security.  Some are wireless and can aslo be used as a hub to connect
> other computers.

I don't know a damn thing about networking but I just bought an inexq isw050t
wireless router and it works (wired) fine with my dual boot win2k / FC1
system. However, it worked right off in Win2k, but it broke KDE severely at
first (could not start). After I edited the Firewall->DMZ section of the
configuration in Windows to tell the router to stop trying to firewall this
machine, then linux started working properly again. (httpd is still broken,
but I tried some different stuff when I couldn't boot, so the problem with
httpd might be my fault, not the router's.)

I suspec what people say here and what local folks told me before I bought the
hardware is true--this stuff is pretty straightforward and should work fine
with Linux (although it's complex and confusing to anyone who does not
solidly understand networking, which I don't).

(My roommate has a laptop running Win98se, with a wireless USB connector and
she's sharing my ADSL connection now, whether I'm running Win2k or FC1.)

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com