Raid 1

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 16 10:57:50 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 16.02.2004 schrieb kaze um 04:57:
> I might be totally wrong, but if you set up the RAID as hardware RAID, from
> the OS's point of view there is only one hard drive - so there is _no_ OS /
> software stuff to do.

You are wrong, in the case you are speaking of those "fake" RAID
adapters like the Belkin IDE the OP asked about or the low budget
Promise or HighPoint controllers. they are just BIOS supported pure
software (with special, often closed source driver) controllers.
Speaking of IDE RAID controllers only the 3ware controllers are real
hardware RAID controllers. They have an own logic chip doing the job.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
Sirendipity 11:52:57 up 1 day, 15:31, load average: 0.01, 0.10, 0.14
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]