Slow performence

Ron Henderson rhenderson at gadtek.com
Tue Feb 17 03:38:54 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I am pretty new to linux, I have installed and got Fedora core 1 up and
running, and have just about everything working. I do have a few issues
however.

1.) while running X I am using about 300mb of memory. This would be ok,
but I only have 320mb. Needless to say when I try to run a game, or any
application, performance is very slow. How can I lower my memory use?

2.) I still am unable to view mpeg movies, etc. I have downloaded the
Mplayer rpms, however, I am unable to install them due to missing
packages. I am missing libpostproc, and libpostproc.so.2, I also am
missing libxvidcore, but I think I just found that one. Any help?

3.) During setup, I selected a package that supposedly installed a
remote control client that allowed me to access both Windows Terminal
Servers, and VNC hosts. I have looked, but can not find it anywhere. Any
help here>?

Cheers mates!

Ron