clearing out /tmp safely

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Tue Feb 17 03:49:31 UTC 2004

Em Ter, 2004-01-20 às 21:44, Matt H. escreveu:

Hello Matt

> I would like to clean out my /tmp partition as per the tip at
> http://fedoranews.org/krishnan/tips/tip014.shtml. However, just one small
> query. Is there any folders/files in the /tmp directory that shouldn't be
> deleted? My /tmp currently contains directories such as gconfd-root,
> kde-root, ksocket-root, lost+found, mcop-root, a number of ssh-*, and
> files such as crxmlqWMLkc, a number of libGL.la-*, sockets such as
> mapping-root,..etc.
> Will all these entries safely be recreated when needed? Just a
> precautionary measure; I realise it is after all a "temporary" directory!

Well, most of these files are from running applications - so, if you cd
/tmp; rm -rf *
you will certainly to restart some of those applications. In fact,
closing any gnome or kde session, erasing the files and restarting X
(with a ctrl+alt+backspace) will do the trick.

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group