Quick question about valid username characters

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Feb 17 13:49:45 UTC 2004

Michael Kearey wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I have several multi-user machines running Redhat 8.0. There are
> hundreds of usernames on these machines that have mixture of upper and
> lowercase.
>
> I may be able to just upgrade, but I would prefer to install new
> Fedora, and automate adding the existing users on old Redhat 8.0
> machines to new Fedora ones.. (Several reasons for doing this, but not
> relevent here)

saving the old /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files will keep your user
names/passwords as they are, and keeping the /home without reformatting
it will keep the users data.

After doing the install to FC1, simply put the saved copies of the
passwd and shadow files back and your users will be back as they are now
on the older RH 8.0 system.

> I have since discovered that Fedora (And Redhat of course) at some
> stage changed , or maybe more properly, now enforces usernames to
> allow only lowercase.

AFAIK the only character that was historicaly REQUIRED to be lowercase
was the first one. (having the user name with the first character in
uppercase had some strange effects.)

> I'd like to know precise details :
>
> Why the change?
>
> Any simple way to circumvent the 'feature' (I know vipw allows you to
> do it, but I need an automated way !!)
>
> Is there a changelog anywhere in appropriate rpms that explain the
> change?
>
> Any other advice and info would be much appreciated.

If you are needing to translate the mixed case user names to all lower
case a simple perl script can do that for you very easily.   It would
need to work on /etc/passwd and on /etc/shadow to do the translation.
Also, since the home directories are likely named the same as the
present usernames, you may want to change those as well.  Again, perl is
your friend for that.