up2date

Jeremy irwinr12 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 15:49:58 UTC 2004

Hrm, people like you are what keep people away from Linux....

There is no documentation anywhere that I can find that explains exactly how to configure this sources file.  When I did a search on the mailing list for "up2date Traceback", I got hundreds of matches, very few of them had anything to do with my problem, the ones that did, had no responses posted.  When I setup this file, I had no idea that you couldn't have the same name twice...  I don't necessarilly think that is the case, either, because up2date has been working under this configuration.  What I do think, is that if someone posted a FAQ on the fedora website, explaining how to select a mirror, how to configure the sources file, people like me wouldn't have to subscribe to this mailing list, to ask, just to get shot down for not knowing the format for some undocumented file.

Someone else said the Stanford mirror was busy?  Ugh, it seems like no matter which one I choose, it's either very slow or has too many users connected.

Someone else also said that HTTP is preferred?  I'll try that, I've just always assumed that FTP would be prefered for file downloads.

Also, what about the 'updates-released' deal?  Do i need to use a mirror for that too?

-Jeremy

Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at web.de> wrote:
Am Di, den 17.02.2004 schrieb Jeremy um 00:09:
> Here it is:
>

> ### type channel-label url
> yum fedora-core-1
> ftp://linux.stanford.edu/pub/mirrors/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386
> yum fedora-core-1 http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1

You cannot have the same name for a repo twice.
> yum updates-released
> http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-1
> #yum updates-testing
> http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-1

So you are obviously NOT using a mirror!

Christoph