Very OT: The Most Important Question

Tue Feb 17 16:41:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 10:07, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> Edward Croft wrote:
>
> > I think that we need to have the financial support structure in
> > place.
>
> That would make sense...if fedora were managed by a non-profit
> organization...and if the majority of the development effort were
> being done by volunteers. But at this point, the reality of the
> situation is that a very large chunk of what can be considered fedora
> development is red hat employee time. And a good chunk of the physical
> resources are very much red hat owned resources still.
>
> And before we can competently talk about anything like a a 'financial
> support structure' to support the community volunteers based on the sell
> of swag. Someone in the community is going to have to have a serious
> conversation with Red Hat (as in the legal department),on how Fedora
> trademarked logos and artwork can be licensed and used. US trademark
> laws being what they are, you (or whatever legal entity you create) will
> have to get pen a trademark license agreement with Red Hat to use
> whatever Fedora trademarks are developed.  I'm not saying this is a bad
> idea, I'm just saying if you are serious about it, yer going to have to
> get access the trademarks in a formal manner.  And don't be too shocked
> if Red Hat wants to have an opportunity to sell Fedora trademarked swag
> for its own reasons.
>
> Anyways, if you are serious about this i would suggest that you first
> start the ball rolling by trying to build and incorporate a non profit
> organization whose purpose is to provide resources to fedora volunteers
> in an open,transparent, organized manner. Initially, such a non-profit
> organization could take in donations from community members and
> redistribute those donations in an 'equitable' way back to the community
> volunteers who are actively working on fedora. Don't count on being able
> to sell branded swag initially. If I were Red Hat I would be very
> reluctantly to license the Fedora trademarks to a person or entity
> before they have shown a real commitment to follow through with the goal
> of being a support resource to community volunteers.
>
> -jef"its all about initiative"spaleta

I think that there is one additional issue here that would at least need
to be clarified (I think) and that is that the font being used for
Fedora.

Based upon a post here:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2003-October/msg00070.html

The font being used is Myriad, which is not available to my knowledge
for free. It is under a license from Adobe for "commercial" use.

What additional licensing issues are there for the Fedora "bling-bling"
if this font is used on products for sale?

Marc