up2date

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Tue Feb 17 17:41:09 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 17.02.2004 schrieb Jeremy um 16:49:
> Hrm, people like you are what keep people away from Linux....

Hrm, really? If you search for my name on this list you'll realize that
I'm answering more questions than I'm posting myself.

> There is no documentation anywhere that I can find that explains
> exactly how to configure this sources file.

1. There are instructions in the file itself
2. There are several HowTos like http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraSources
(1st hit by google if you search for "sources fedora rhn")
3. It was discussed a billion times on this list. If you are subscribed
to this list for a while, you'll get tired of the always the same
questions.

>   When I did a search on the mailing list for "up2date Traceback",

Why not for "configure up2date mirror"???
Then you'll find this one with step-by-step-instructions (also fourth
hit at google!)

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg03379.html

>  I got hundreds of matches, very few of them had anything to do with
> my problem, the ones that did, had no responses posted.

Well, this is exactly because of people like you, who fist post and then
(maybe) search the archives.

>   When I setup this file, I had no idea that you couldn't have the
> same name twice...  I don't necessarilly think that is the case,
> either, because up2date has been working under this configuration.

OK, I should have said: You _should_ not have the same name twice.
That's what names in general are for: to divide different things.

>  What I do think, is that if someone posted a FAQ on the fedora
> website, explaining how to select a mirror, how to configure the
> sources file, people like me wouldn't have to subscribe to this
> mailing list, to ask, just to get shot down for not knowing the format
> for some undocumented file.

It is not undocumented, that's not true. Take a look at the file!

> Someone else said the Stanford mirror was busy?  Ugh, it seems like no
> matter which one I choose, it's either very slow or has too many users

The new up2date in FC2 will connect to the fastest responding mirror at
runtime. So hopefully all this discussions are obsolete then.

> Someone else also said that HTTP is preferred?  I'll try that, I've
> just always assumed that FTP would be prefered for file downloads.

Up2date can handle both, but you'll need at least rhn-applet-2.1.6-1.
You can get it at: http://people.redhat.com/veillard/testing/FC1/i386

> Also, what about the 'updates-released' deal?  Do i need to use a
> mirror for that too?

Updates are tested (updates-testing) before they are released. I
recommend not using updates-testing, for they sometimes do strange
things.

And please, Jeremy, stop posting HTML to mailing lists!
Please stop top-posting with fully quoted text of the previous mail!

Thanks a lot and sorry "for shooting you", was not my intention.

Christoph