Set Environment

Andrew Levey AG_LEVEY at alevey.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 20:33:46 UTC 2004

Hi

Some help needed with

Set environment and

Application launcher

I want to use the html editor Arachnophilia 5.2 build 1959 (12/08/2003)
(Java)

( I used the vers. 4 (not java) on windows before switching to Fedora
Linux)

I installed the Java runtime j2re-1_4_2_03-linux.i586.rpm from the sun
site and downloaded Arachnophilia.jar

After changing the environment :

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03

export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

In the arachnophilia directory entering :

java -jar Arachnophilia.jar

Everything runs tickety boo

How do I automate this ?

The environment changes are lost when the terminal window is closed

Do I need a script to make these changes for each session ?

Should it be scripted somewhere ? (how?)

I also want to run a launcher on the desktop for the application. I
presume I need a script to run “java -jar Arachnophilia jar” from the
arachnophilia directory ?

The arachnophilia website suggests a plain text desktop shortcut:-

[Desktop Entry]

Exec=java -jar (path to Arachnophilia JAR file) / Arachnophilia.jar

Name=Arachnophilia

Type=Application

my path being /usr/local/src/arachnophilia/Arachnophilia.jar

I tried that and get : Failed to execute child process “java” (No such
file or directory)

As you can see I'm new to linux.

All help gratefully received

Regards