Adventures with Fedora in Biotech

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Feb 17 21:59:23 UTC 2004

Nate Bradley wrote:
> Where do you get this idea from?
>
> Fedora 1 Core is supposed to be a stable, well tested release, built on
>
> the base of RedHat's earlier stable releases.

> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/
 > Read the release notes carefully!!

I don't consider "It is also a proving ground for new technology that
may eventually make its way into Red Hat products." to be making any
comment on stability or tested-ness, merely the project's 'openness to
new packages/technology'.

> Then read
> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/.

And your point is?
The only thing I can find that even hints that Fedora might be less than
fully baked is in http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/ where
they refer to one of the "primary benefits" of Fedora as "Bleeding edge
technology". Even that doesn't imply that the bleeding edge
functionality won't go through a rigorous test process prior to
incorporation, merely that they'll be incorporated for testing much much
faster than RHEL plans to do so. For example, FC2 will incorporate the
2.6 kernel, which is why it's being actively tested now (see
fedora-test-list for traffic relating to this).

It's not like they dropped 2.6 into FC1 as an 'update'...