RAID - hardware to running system ?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 17 23:28:57 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 18.02.2004 schrieb Bob Hartung um 02:20:
> RAID again.
>   I have FC1 with all upgrades.  I have now purchased an installed a
> 3ware 7006-2 ATA Raid controller.  The 3w-xxxx.o files already exists in
> /lib/modules/kernel/2......./drivers/scsi.  I did copy the lastest
> version of this file ( 3w-xxxx.o ) to the directory.  When I use the
> hardware browser the ATA cards is correctly reported.

I do not know what you mean with latest version of the file, but have in
mind that the driver module 3w-xxxx.o must be compiled matching your
running kernel. A module compiled against different kernel will not
load.

>   I find a lot of info on raid except for the "simple & basic" stuff:
>   1.  How will the two drives that are attached to the raid controller
> appear if they are seen?  e.g. in dmesg?

If you run "lsmod 3w-xxxx.o" while having in another terminal "tail -f
/var/log/messages" you will see the detection process.

>   2.  Do I need to make a device called /dev/md0 manually? Or is its
> absence an indication that set up is incomplete?

No, /dev/md0 is for software raid only. You should see the raid device -
which I assume you have to configure before using the 3ware BIOS - as
/dev/sda.

>   3.  Once I know what its called and how to find it I can then makefs
> ext3 ( so far? )

If the device is there, you first have to create at least one partition
before you can create a filesystem on it.

> Thanks,
>

> Bob

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
Sirendipity 00:21:42 up 3 days, 4:00, load average: 1.06, 1.09, 1.08
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]