nvidia agp

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 18 06:30:15 UTC 2004

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 10:54 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>    Can someone tell me what this means from dmesg,I put an "Option
>>AGPPART 3" in XF86Config and I wonder which AGP the card is using.
>>Is it using nvagp or the kernel agpgart,is there anything I need to do.
>>
>>0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module  1.0-4620
>>Mon Sep 29 08:49:59 PDT 2003
>>Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
>>agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
>>agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro KT400 chipset
>>agpgart: unable to determine aperture size.
>>0: NVRM: AGPGART: unable to retrieve symbol table
>

>     Maybe seeing what Nvidia installed for me (successfully) will help:
>
> /etc/modules.conf:
>     alias char-major-195 nvidia
>     options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
> NVreg_ReqAGPRate=7
>

>     My equipment here is a modest nvidia GeForce 4 MX.  I just used the
> base installer, and the default installer right off the Nvidia
> website...not the beta-test RPM.
>
>     If you need more, let me know...it's not a perfect install, but
> Nvidia really works well once it's installed.  The biggest problem seems
> to be in merely following the rules, and not thinking too hard.
>
>     :)

Brian, I used the rpm's from Livna - kernel-module - nvidia-glx -
nvidia-glx-devel,/etc/modules.conf only contains the 'alias
char-major-195 nvidia' and not the 'options'. If your GeForce is modest,
my Riva TNT2 is below the water line! IIRC the options line is default
to GeForce cards,I'll try it and see,if not ,more hunting at nvidia NG's

Thanks  david