Nautilus and .dat file type

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Wed Feb 18 06:32:13 UTC 2004

This is probably an upstream problem/feature, but anyway here goes.

Nautilus thinks that files that have an extension of .dat are mpeg
videos. That has got to be wrong.

Surely, nautilus should do more that use a file extension to determine
file type?

Is there a way I can change this behaviour for all users of the system?

I came across this problem during a class on the R statistical package.
They were all using gnome login sessions and no one could edit their
data files from nautilus because it thought they were MPEG videos!

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312