lower window manager

Paul Thomas paul at tmsl.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 13:40:27 UTC 2004

On 18/02/2004 12:33 Gerrit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed Fedora on a Pentium 200 MhZ with 128 MB mem.
> The console runs fine but graphical mode is bad with KDE 3.2.
> Can anyone recommend a less resource-intensive window manager with still
> a bit of luxery (e.g. can I run Konsole without KDE? I like tabs...)

There a quite a few around if you check the archives - look for threads
about installing FC on low-spec machines. I put icewm on my P266/160MB
laptop successfully and could select it at the graphical login. I also
managed to get it to be the default desktop with a bit of tweeking of
config files. There are other wm's which work too and I'm sure you'll get
good advice from those who have tried them.

If you do go down that route remember that you'll lose a lot of the
facilities which GNOME and KDE provide but you will still be able to run
GNOME and KDE apps as you have the libraries installed.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |