silent soundblaster live problem

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Wed Feb 18 13:59:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:46:08 -0500, Sy Beamont graced me with:
> My workstation has a SBLive! card in it which used to work fine
> under SuSE. Around the time I installed FC1 I am getting no sound
> at all, and no errors either. Playing CDs, .wav files, xmms, etc
> all _look_ like they are playing just fine but my the speakers
> remain eerily silent, almost like they are not plugged in (yes I've
> checked 100 times, and tried new speakers)
>
> $ /sbin/lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> nfsd                   79472   8 (autoclean)
> lockd                  57328   1 (autoclean) [nfsd]
> sunrpc                 83580   1 (autoclean) [nfsd lockd] emu10k1
>              67368   0 (autoclean)
> ac97_codec             16744   0 (autoclean) [emu10k1] sound
>           72276   0 (autoclean) [emu10k1] soundcore
> 6468   7 (autoclean) [emu10k1 sound] ..
>
> $ dmesg
> ..
> Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20, 13:55:18 Jan 30
> 2004 PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 02:0b.0 PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with
> 00:1f.2
> emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 7 model 0x8022 found, IO at 0xdf80-0xdf9f, IRQ
> 10 ac97_codec: AC97  codec, id: TRA35 (TriTech TR A5) ..
>
> I do get messages from modprobe about "Can't locate module sound-
> slot-1" but apparently this is caused by KDE looking for a second
> sound card.
>
> Also, this is a dual-boot machine and W2K reports "the device is
> working properly" on this card. But still, the same thing, no
> errors, no sound.
>
> What do you think? time for a new card???
>

> thanks all
>

> -S

Have you checked your system's sound mixers? If you are running KDE
instead of Gnome, sometimes the sound mixers will be off or working
against each other. I seem to notice this problem more with SB Live!
cards. This really has also been more of a problem with Mandrake
systems, where KDE is the preferred DE, but still is worth a look at.

HTH,

Paul