new to linux and networking

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Feb 18 14:28:43 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 18.02.2004 schrieb Antoniak Adam um 12:31:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've been using Red Hat 9.0 for a few months and consider moving to Fedora.
> I also would like to change my internet provider to get a faster connection (still using dial up modem :-( ).
> I'm considering D-Link DFE-528TX NEC. Any problems known with this particular card?
> Googled the net but didn't find any final statements.
> Will it be automatically detected or I will need additional drivers?
> As far as I know it uses an RTL8139C chipset.
> Had any of u good or bad experience with this card?
>
> ADAM

NICs with Realtek chipset are very low price cards. I do not recommend
using such cards in machines with much traffic as the chipset is causing
a high CPU load at high traffic rates. If you take it for 10MBit DSL
connection this is not a factor. Behind this the type of NIC is mostly
uncomplicated and should be autodetected and supported by the kernel
module 8139too.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
Sirendipity 15:19:10 up 3 days, 18:57, load average: 1.47, 1.62, 1.45
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]