Recommedations

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Wed Feb 18 15:41:35 UTC 2004

Em Qua, 2004-02-18 às 12:22, Brittany escreveu:
> Does Fedora has an automatic built in Firewall?

Yes. Every newer linux has. (I'm talking about the last five years, at
least)

> I have broadband but I dont
> have a router, as i cannot afford a busniess package. All i am worried about
> is an anti virus, Firewall, HTML builder ( Doesnt dreamweaver MX accepts

There are some antivirus for linux, but most of them are used just to
scan e-mails looking for windows viruses, or in networks where linux is
a file server to windows machines. Apart of that, that's little need for
an antivirus on linux.

> Linux?!?!??!) and couple of Graphic creation tools, as i tend to like making
> graphics.

For HTML builder there are some options, as nvu and quanta. However, not
any of these tools will make you satisfied if you're a hard user of
dreamweaver mx. But you can, with a little effort, run dreamweaver on
linux without much problem. Take a look at http://www.frankscorner.org

For graphic, there are
- gimp, which aims to do what photoshop does
- openoffice-draw, equivalent to corel, in a limited way
- blender, which is a 3d modelling tool, something like 3d studio or
maya.

Gimp as not easy to get used to, but you can. And hey, it's free! If you
cannot live without CMYK stuff from photoshop, there's how run photoshop
on linux. Frankscorner.org is your friend.

Openoffice draw is a vetorial tool - I don't know how sofisticaded it
is, and don't know how to compare it to the latest versions of corel,
but it does a good job. There used to be coreldraw for linux, don't know
how it is now.

Blender is as complicated as hell for the first look. But the people
which use it says it is only the learning curve. Once you get used to
it, you won't live without.

Hope it helped.

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group