Recommedations

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Feb 18 16:18:16 UTC 2004

At 10:02 2/18/2004, you wrote:
>I must admit but I am somewhat a tightwad, yes i admit it damnit!

Well, in Linux most things (including the operating systems) are "free" in
the sense that they give you freedom: to use, to distribute, and to modify
them. However, most things are also "gratis" in the sense that they cost $0.00.

You can install Fedora Core 1 and get an office suite (openoffice),
diagramming tool (dia), image manipulation program (gimp), and hundreds of
other tools all included and gratis. In my particular case, I wanted the
additional support, languages, dictionaries, and tools which StarOffice
provides and so I am happy to pay $80 for it. Besides, that is the only
thing on my system that costs money as opposed to a $200 OS, a $550 office
suite, and a $50 anti-virus ($800 in software total) and my payment helps
them to continue developing software for Linux.

Not everything should be "gratis." Some people will not or cannot program
for Linux (or anything else) if they don't get paid for it.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com