undoing dual-boot

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 20:03:46 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Szilagyi" <lists at szilagyi.us>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 2:52 PM
Subject: undoing dual-boot

> I have an XP system with a 150 gig HD set to dual-boot. I used Partition
> Magic to allocate 100 megs to Linux and put FC1 onto that section, but
> want to undo this now to make a seperate all-FC1 machine.
>
> What is the safest method for the Windows data to remove FC1? Boot into
> Windows and give it back via Partition Magic? Or is it better to boot into
> the FC1 install disks and wipe out the partitions there first...? Any
> advice from people that have done this would be appreciated. I basically
> want to just undo the dual-boot on this particular system.

Assuming you consider Partition Magic safe (I've had it screw up in rather
exciting ways before), I'd just delete the linux partition, and resize the
Windows partition to take up the slack. After that you'll want to go to a
command line (in Windows) and type "fdisk /mbr", which will write a fresh
master boot record and wipe out the boot loader.
  Of course back up anything important before doing this, but you should
make it through OK. Alternatively you could just leave the small partition
just in case. It never hurts to have a spare blank partition.