Can't run emacs (specifically) on X over ssh

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 18 23:24:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 02:51:43PM -0500, Greg Brigley wrote:

> I'm having problems running emacs via ssh on FC1.
>
> Running emacs directly works fine, but if I ssh to localhost and try to run
> emacs,
> Any ideas?

Works for me (both xemacs and emacs).

Make sure that forward and reverse lookup of "localhost" work correctly.

How did you start X?   For example are you at init 3 and doing a startx?

Do you have any shell alias or path/PATH setting that change how emacs works.

Move your ~/.*macs* files and dirs to one side and test.

NFS/samba....?

You can run "strace -f -o /tmp/trace-myemacs emacs" and see some stuff.
Look near the end of the file to see what it did last.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net