silent soundblaster live problem

Sy Beamont sbeam at attbi.com
Thu Feb 19 02:34:30 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 18:31, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> I take it you are interested in working in the KDE environment? aRts
> does take up a lot of CPU.

Yeah but I mean it was taking up like 80-95% of a 900Mz P4. I killed
kartsd and xmms works with the esound plugin (!?) though the sound is
still terrible.

> I decided the overhead
> with KDE wasn't worth it and switched to a lighter DE/WM that doesn't
> require aRts to hog my CPU. ALSA seems to be working fine under XFce,
> as does esd, if needed.

Overall I like KDE better than anything else I've tried (almost
everything) and under SuSE this system worked fine performance wise.
And the whole SBLive! sound config was always one of the few
no-brainers in Linux up till now.

> Your welcome. Glad I could give you some insight. I'm not sure if I
> had any real answer for you, though. :0(

Gave me a dope-slap in the right direction, can't ask for more than that
;) thanks