how to find spaces with a regex?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Thu Feb 19 03:28:06 UTC 2004

No matter what I try, on my FC1 system or on my university's unix sytem, I can
NOT figure out how to use a regex to search for multiple spaces -- for
example at least 2 but no more than 3; or 2 or more (no max).

Yes, I've read the man pages (on both systems). Yes I've read my class notes
(I'm taking a C course that also has unix info). No example I've found
actually works.

The only way I can ever search for and find spaces is if I *explicitly* search
for an explicity number of them (i.e. if I press the space bar 3 times, I can
search for 3 spaces, but no other number of spaces will be found). I *want*
to be able to search for variable numbers of spaces *with* certain characters
before and/or after the variable number of spaces.

What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to use grep and it just won't work. :-(

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com