Backward compatability ?

T. Ribbrock emgaron at gmx.net
Thu Feb 19 07:49:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:01:49AM -0000, The Engineer wrote:
> I have been using RH 6.2 for about a year now and want to start using
> FC, but have a few questions:

> a)    Would FC 1 install over RH 6.2 or is it advisable to backup what
>       I can from RH 6.2 and then wipe my existing partitions and do a clean
>       installation of FC 1 ??

Well, RHL6.2 is quite old now and a *lot* has changed, since - not least
the fact that there is a lot more stuff in the distro, so you might want
to re-adjust the size of your partitions.
My recommendation would therefore be the second approach, i.e. a clean
install. And just to clarify: After you've made your back-ups, you only
need to run the FC installer - if repartitioning ins necessary, it will do
it for you or you can do it manually from within the installer.

[...]

Cheerio,

Thomas
--