Linux 'n games

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Thu Feb 19 13:17:52 UTC 2004

>> Hello Alex
>>
>> My experience iss that many users just want to play with there computers
>> and this works better with MS. I had installed a view Systems for
>> Computer Newbies and Beginners and they learned very fast to work and
>> handle Linux. But the second question was "and games ....."
>>
>> A fiew firms thinking of change from Microsoft to Linux but this is a
>> hard way for the companies when they had specific Software for Microsoft
>> and paid for this much money.
>>
>> But for example last year I worked for the Fraunhofer Institut they are
>> looking for answers on linux based System ,,,, and it works very well
>>
>> So I hope the games will also change to Linux for a better Life ;)
>>
>> --
>> Dirk Wendland

>Hi Dirk,

>I know that problem and wine won't help, thus I will install a naked W98
>or XP for the couple of games I like to play. I tried some of the linux
>games when I was bored over christmas but I didn't manage to get them
>running (torcs & racer).

>Anyway... I am just a 'normal' user not a pro and thus I will reduce
>Windows to my personal playstation.

>Alex

>PS: There are more and more games coming out for Linux but I want only
>my old Need for Speed III and V running so if there is a possibility
>under Linux, I am happy to try it ;)

As to the Quality of Games on Linux, I do not agree.  My wife purchased for me
Civilization:  Call To Power for linux off of Amazon.com this Christmas.  I
already had the Windoze version, but I wanted a linux version.

While there are a few minor sound issues with the Linux game, it is much more
stable.  I have put in over 150 hours on this game on linux and it has only
crashed back to the desktop once.  My windoze version on either 98, Me, or 2k
regularily crashes to the desktop and usually requires a reboot following
play.

On linux, I can just click on the icon, play a few turns, save and close.  No
problem.  It does not mean a reboot before or after play.

If you want better and more games for linux, I would suggest looking for some
of the loki ports at Amazon.com.  They did versions of Alpha Centauri,
Railroad Tycoon 2 and several other popular windoze games.