program talk doesn't work on fc1-> Error on read from talk daemon

Didier Casse didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg
Thu Feb 19 15:47:19 UTC 2004

On 19/02/04, at 23:33 +0800, Didier Casse <didierbeATspsdotnusdotedudotsg>
wrote:

> On 19/02/04, at 16:42 +0200, Rotariu Bogdan <bogdan at alterox.ro> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > you need to chkconfig talk on and chkconfig ntalk on
> > service xinetd restart
> > that should do it
> > and check if there are no rules that block ports 517-518 UDP
> >

> That is precisely what I thought of doing a
>
> /sbin/chkconfig --level 345 talk on
> /sbin/chkconfig --level 345 ntalk on
>
> /sbin/service xinetd restart
>
> and still the same old error message from talk:
>
> i.e
>
> "Error on read from talk daemon: Connection refused... press any key"

Oh yeah an  nmap -sU myhost reveals:

(The 1470 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT      STATE SERVICE
68/udp    open  dhcpclient
111/udp   open  rpcbind
123/udp   open  ntp
137/udp   open  netbios-ns
138/udp   open  netbios-dgm
518/udp   open  ntalk
784/udp   open  unknown
32768/udp open  omad

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 6.897 seconds

As suspected nothing blocks port 518/udp :-/

Any other idea of how to get that %@^&^ talk program to run properly? :-)

With kind regards,

Didier.

---
PhD student.

Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
5 Research Link,
Singapore 117603

Email: slsbdfc at nus dot edu dot sg /
didierbe at sps dot nus dot edu dot sg