Micro$oft $uck$

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Feb 19 21:47:31 UTC 2004

At 13:27 2/19/2004, you wrote:
>Thanks! I have a question... where can i go to go to my CD Rom? I'm
>trying to install my sound cd but it's not auto opening since it doesn't
>have an autorun file on the cd.

Two differences with Windows:

The first is that drives must be "mounted" to work. Windows always attempts
to mount a drive, even when doing so is annoying and/or wrong. Linux, on
the other hand, mostly does not mount drives automatically (which can
sometimes also be annoying and/or wrong but is more conservative). You can
always mount your CD-ROM for use by issuing the command "mount /mnt/cdrom"
as the root user. After you have finished using the drive, you can "umount
/mnt/cdrom" (please note, the command is "umount"... there is no "n" in it)
and then the command "eject".

This is of course from the command line. From the desktop, I don't know how
to mount it but I do know that you can right-click on the CD-ROM icon on
your desktop after it's mounted and you will see an "eject" command in that
menu. Clicking on that command will unmount the drive and eject the disk
easily.

Note that there are no drive letters in Linux. Every directory is a
sub-directory from the root directory, which is referred to as a single
slash: /. You can find your CD-ROM at /mnt/cdrom.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com