Linux 'n games

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Thu Feb 19 23:34:28 UTC 2004

Lorenzo Prince wrote:

>Thus spake Thomas:
># personal experience is, that it takes a lot more time to get a game work
># with linux. There is just a small number of native linux games and an
># even smaller number of good native linux games that can compare to
># modern games that were written for platforms like MS.
>
>Here I see an ongoing problem that only seems to be getting worse.  I see many
>people complaining that "Linux doesn't have games" but I don't see many people
>writing new games for Linux.  Or people will complane that "the games on Linux
>aren't as good as those on Windows/OtherOS."  But no one is taking the existing
>games and making them better.  Isn't this the point of Open Source? If it isn't
>there, create it.  If it doesn't do what you want, fix it so it does.  Or if you
>can't do that, by all means submit bug reports and/or feature requests.
>
>PRINCE

And, if your fav Win games are not available on Linux then ask the game
authors for a Linux version.  If there is no demand for games to run on
Linux then there will be none written.  Much of games & entertainment is
business, business is to make money, if the company can't justify a
business plan for a Linux version it won't happen.  Writing a game takes
a LOT of work.  Open source or closed source, if the game author thinks
that there will only be a small audience on a particular OS then the
phrase "why bother" comes to mind.

UT2003 has a Linux installer on disk 3, wooohooo!  Runs great on FC1
(but I need a better computer).

Mike