X11Forwarding through rsh

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Feb 20 00:53:06 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>Valli,Jason R. said:
>

>>I know how to set my display and xhost.  That is what does not work. All
>>I get is  Error: Can't open display: . I work in a lab enviroment and
>>the users I support use rsh.
>>

>Have you configured your Xserver to listen on the network?
>https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-February/msg03462.html
>
>Do you have a firewall blocking the connection?
>
># /sbin/service iptables status

ssh is designed to be backwards compatible with rsh in terms of
command-line options.  If the systems in the lab were to rename rsh to
something else and place a symlink there instead to the ssh executable
it should work and use ssh unbeknownst to the users.  If that is an
available option it would be much more secure.  Alternatively you could
place such a symlink anywhere earlier in the path, or define an alias to
do it.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021