Micro$oft $uck$

Craig cs007fc at wowway.com
Fri Feb 20 05:54:05 UTC 2004

Brittany wrote:

>I had downloaded the FC2 binary from http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/( the
>top files) and when i try to install it it said "Fedora Core 1" SO i
>really don't know what version i have.

If you downloaded the FC2 binary, you do have the first test binary of
FC2 and is likely to say until FC2 gets much closer to being official.
This also means that you are dealing with a 2.6 kernel "without a net".
There's no stable 2.4 kernel and most everything about the FC2 setup is
alpha and highly prone to breaking. If you truly want to dive headlong
programming/configuring/editing your OS while knowing it could break at
any time, then stay with it. I know for myself that's not an option at
this time (even as a second OS), therefore I'm sticking with FC1 and I
would suggest that you do the same until you get acclimated to Linux (at
least until you feel comfortable and adventurous).

"yarrow-binary-i386-iso.torrent", which would be the official and
"stable" FC1. Then get yourself over to
"http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/" and follow the direction for
downloading and installing APT and SYNAPTIC which will make your life a
whole lot easier than trying to use the installed "up2date" program for
your updates. Believe me, I've rebuilt RPMs from source, tarballs(.tar
is the equivalent of .zip in the Linux world) and even created RPMs from
scratch. This is by far the easiest way for a newcomer to keep his or
her system "up-to-date".