Can't upgrade FC1

Gordon R. Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Fri Feb 20 14:15:52 UTC 2004

    Try synaptic.  IMHO it's got a better interface than up2date, and
I've *never* had a problem with it.  One of the things I really like is
that I can remove and install packages at the same time, through a very
nice GUI.  This lets me (for example) install a new kernel update and
remove the generation -2 kernel in the same process.  Using up2date, I
had to manually remove old kernel versions periodically, or run out of
space.  I don't believe it automatically downloads and installs kernel
upgrades (although this may be an option;  see next paragraph) but it's
so easy to search for new versions and request them manually that I
haven't found this to be an issue.
    By default synaptic maps a reasonable list of archives, and I've
never had significant performance problems.  Adding or removing archives
is a snap, through a GUI dialog.  I haven't tried playing with options,
beyond adding an archive to pick up the latest wine distributions, so I
can't comment on how far from the defaults it's possible to go.  Like
up2date, packages are downloaded to a directory under /var.  I've
mounted (smbfs) a directory on my Win2K server (which has a cd burner)
at this point, so packages are downloaded directly to (and installed
from) a hard drive on the server.  Once a month or so I can offload the
whole batch to CD to free up space.
    The bottom line is that I would never voluntarily switch back to
up2date.
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn