Linux 'n games

Bryan Encina bryan.encina at valleypres.org
Fri Feb 20 15:17:43 UTC 2004

> > I totally understand what you're saying, here's a few
> reasons I can think
> > of:
> >
> > -If I wanted to get practical experience in the hopes of
> getting a gaming
> > job in the future I'd work with Direct 3D over OpenGL.
> >
> > -If I wanted to create a game, I'd want people to actually
> use it, the
> > community for gaming is much larger for MS Windows users.
> As it is now, I
> > can barely find enough real life friends to play games with
> on the most
> > widely used OS, if I limited myself to developing/playing
> something on linux
> > it would bring it down to 1, maybe 2 other people.
> >
> > -Better driver support for graphics/sound cards in windows.
> >
> > -Most of the linux users I know stopped playing games a
> while ago since we
> > all left college and are still waiting for me to grow up as
> they're more
> > interested server type stuff than games.
> >
> > Right now, the only real reason I have a windows box at
> home is for games,
> > if not I'd be fine with linux only.  Until more companies
> actively support
> > linux,  I'll have to have windows around.
> >
> > -b
>
> There are heaps of games for Linux around, and new ones
> emerging all the
> time.
>
> Here is a small list of "First Person Shooters", (Which are
> the types of
> games that I like).
>
> Descent 3
> Quake
> Quake 2
> Quake 3
> Unreal Tournament
> Unreal Tournament 2003
> Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo (This one has just been released)
> Return To Castle Wolfenstein
> Enemy Territory
> Heretic 2
>
> Games that have been remade to run on Linux
>
> Doom
> Doom II
> Heretic
> Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium Pack
>
> And there are other games like
>
> Neverwinter Nights Etc. etc.
>
> And these ALL run natively on Linux
>
> Wolf

Yeah the FPS type games have usually been the most linux friendly games
since id software and epic seem to be pretty aware of the linux crowd and
many recent FPS have been licensing their technology.  However, it's still
pretty rare to have out of the box support at release time.  Hard core
gamers still have to keep a windows box around if they want to stay up to
date with the most recent games.
-b