Linux 'n games

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Feb 20 15:27:19 UTC 2004

Wolfgang wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 10:25, Bryan Encina wrote:
>
>>>Thus spake Thomas:
>>># personal experience is, that it takes a lot more time to
>>>get a game work
>>># with linux. There is just a small number of native linux
>>>games and an
>>># even smaller number of good native linux games that can compare to
>>># modern games that were written for platforms like MS.
>>>
>>>Here I see an ongoing problem that only seems to be getting
>>>worse.  I see many
>>>people complaining that "Linux doesn't have games" but I
>>>don't see many people
>>>writing new games for Linux.  Or people will complain that
>>>"the games on Linux
>>>aren't as good as those on Windows/OtherOS."  But no one is
>>>taking the existing
>>>games and making them better.  Isn't this the point of Open
>>>Source? If it isn't
>>>there, create it.  If it doesn't do what you want, fix it so
>>>it does.  Or if you
>>>can't do that, by all means submit bug reports and/or feature
>>>requests.
>>>

>>I totally understand what you're saying, here's a few reasons I can think
>>of:
>>
>>-If I wanted to get practical experience in the hopes of getting a gaming
>>job in the future I'd work with Direct 3D over OpenGL.
>>
>>-If I wanted to create a game, I'd want people to actually use it, the
>>community for gaming is much larger for MS Windows users.  As it is now, I
>>can barely find enough real life friends to play games with on the most
>>widely used OS, if I limited myself to developing/playing something on linux
>>it would bring it down to 1, maybe 2 other people.
>>
>>-Better driver support for graphics/sound cards in windows.
>>
>>-Most of the linux users I know stopped playing games a while ago since we
>>all left college and are still waiting for me to grow up as they're more
>>interested server type stuff than games.
>>
>>Right now, the only real reason I have a windows box at home is for games,
>>if not I'd be fine with linux only.  Until more companies actively support
>>linux,  I'll have to have windows around.
>>
>>-b
>

> There are heaps of games for Linux around, and new ones emerging all the
> time.
>
> Here is a small list of "First Person Shooters", (Which are the types of
> games that I like).
>
> Descent 3
> Quake
> Quake 2
> Quake 3
> Unreal Tournament
> Unreal Tournament 2003
> Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo (This one has just been released)
> Return To Castle Wolfenstein
> Enemy Territory
> Heretic 2
>
> Games that have been remade to run on Linux
>
> Doom
> Doom II
> Heretic
> [...]

I'll add Americian Armies.
<http://www.americasarmy.com/>

I am new to game playing.  Kids just take up to much time.  But what I
have learned in the last couple of months is that as game engines get
refined for Linux, I think many games will be written for Linux as well.

One reason I purchased a new computer was for games but our household
is Windows Free.

--
Robin Laing