LinNeighborhood-"Can't resolve address" error on mounting shares

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 15:43:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 09:28, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> I have a an MDK 9.1 file server running Samba for shares. From my
> Fedora boxes, I can connect to those shares through Nautilus and
> XFce's xffm. I cannot connect using the latest version of
> LinNeighborhood that was RPM'ed for Fedora. The Samba server has been
> up for a long time and has successfully worked with all distro's used
> to date.
>
> It appears that I can get through the first level of authentication in
> LinNeighborhood, when I first double-click on the Samba server name.
> When I double-click on the shares and try to authenticate and mount, I
> get a small dialog box that simply says: "Can't resolve address".
>
> Has anyone found a solution to problem, or know if the venerable app
> is no longer useable in Fedora?
>
> TIA,
>
> Paul

It is not a Fedora issue, but a LinNeighborhood issue.  It doesn't look
like it is actively maintained.  It appears that LinNeighborhood has not
kept up with the Samba versions.  You can search freshmeat.net for other
samba utilities, or just use smbmount.

As root:
    chmod 4755 /usr/bin/smbmount
    chmod 4755 /usr/bin/smbumount

This will allow normal users to mount/umount smb shares.  However the
user still needs to own the directory, so just make a mnt directory
under your home folder.

To mount a share:

(this should be one line)
smbmount //server/mount_point /where/to/mount -o
username=USER_NAME,workgroup=WORKGROUP_OR_DOMAIN

Then enter your password.

To unmount:
smbumount /where/to/mount

P.S.  Have you tried to email the LinNeighborhood author to see if
he/she is maintaining it anymore?

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA