ppp-compress-21 / bsd_comp.0 problems

Mihai Maties mihai at xcyb.org
Fri Feb 20 17:04:58 UTC 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 18:33, John Klingler wrote:
> I'm having an issue with pppd. It can connect and I can get out to the
> internet, etc., but when pppd connects, in /var/log/messages I see the
> message:
>
> modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-21

For quite some time the "PPP BSD-Compress compression" support is not enabled
by default in Red Hat's kernels so if you want to use it you must compile it
yourself.

As the "help" sais:
The PPP Deflate compression method ("PPP Deflate compression", above) is
preferable to BSD-Compress, because it compresses better and is patent-free.

So do not fear, what you see in /var/log/messages is just a warning that the
module is not found, but the PPP connection still works fine.

If you want to compile bsd_comp though, just install the kernel sources, issue
a menu config, select the "PPP BSD-Compress compression" option from the
"Network device support" and save the new configuration. Go to the top level
Makefile and remove the "custom" part from the EXTRAVERSION variable or else
the compiled module won't be accepted by your running kernel. Then "make
dep", "make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/net", copy the bsd_comp.o file that will
result to your /lib/modules/... directory and run "depmod -a".

Mihai