64-bit Processors

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Fri Feb 20 21:52:18 UTC 2004

On Friday February 20, 2004 "Timothy J. Miller"
<tj.miller at javaspotlet.com> wrote:
> Question re: the AMD line of Processors, I currently am considering
> updgrading a machine and am looking at the AMD Processors. Is there a
> way to tell which are 64bit and which are 32bit?  For example, is the
> AMD Athlon XP a 64 bit processor or a 32bit?

Tim,

Duron, Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon MP = 32-bit
Athlon 64, Athlon 64FX, Opteron = 64-bit

There are some exceptions, but in general you can execute both 32-bit and
64-bit binaries under AMD's x86-64 architecture.

With all due respect, if you are asking this question, I don't think you
should be thinking about upgrading to 64-bits just yet.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL