Recommedations

jay jnitroracer2 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 21:59:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 22:36, James Drabb wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 11:30, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Also, if you want a full featured try-it before you buy-iy linux with
> > most of the bells and whistles, head off to the P2P sharing services
> > and grab Lindows 4.5 Cd. They released it free on the big P2P networks
> > last week and it can give you a very workable CD booted distro to test
> > and NVU was developed on this OS so a few items are a trifle better
> > there, if you want a graphcal web design tool that is.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Lindows is crap-olah.  Not only does it default to running as root (just
> like MS Windows XP defaults to running with admin privs), Lindows will
> nickel-and-dime you for every piece of software you want to install.
> They charge you to user their click-n-run warehouse to get FREE
> SOFTWARE.  I am not against paying for a software (I am a programmer),
> and I am not against paying for services.  I just don't think Lindows
> offers anything worth money and they are really nickel-and-dime'ing
> newbies.
>
> New users are better to get Fedora and use Livna, Freshrpms, DAG and
> Fedora apt repositories.  Install synaptic and have a ball
> point-n-clicking your way to more then 3,000+ applications.
>
> Jim Drabb
> --
> The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
> So, I installed LINUX!
> James Drabb JR
> Senior Programmer Analyst
> Davenport, FL USA
> I'm gonna have to go with James on that one, I decided to try out lindows
as a possible alternative for my girlfriend and was quite upset to find
it runs as root and it also wouldn't recognize my nvidia geforce 4 video
card ... Now come on, don't claim to be plug and play when you don't
even support one of the most widely used video cards... What kind of
crap is that, and second of all I'm not paying for FREE software that i
can use through another distro for free... If you go to their site they
talk a huge game about COST VS. Microsoft, well after your done buying
everything you might as of bought windows XP and well to be quite honest
XP probably would have worked alot better out of the box... Lindows has
only done one justice for the Linux community and that was, they went up
against microsoft in court and won ( well sort of ), other then that it
is crap and it is just plain cheesy, just listen to the name...