Compiling iteraid driver for use at installation

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 20 23:15:19 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I'm trying to upgrade from Red Hat Linux 9 to Fedora Core 1 on my
Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro motherboard.  I'm using RAID 1 under the iteraid
driver at present, and i need to make a module that i can load from
floppy before anaconda searches for installations to upgrade.

I'm compiling iteraid from the source at
http://www.ite.com.tw/pc/LinuxSrc_it8212_092005-05.zip, but i keep
running into one of two problems:

1.  The module symbol versioning kicks in and complains of unresolved
symbols (e.g. register_chrdev_R91ec41d1, scsi_register_Rc18333384).

2.  I've tried to configure my kernel on another box to support
compiling modules without symbol versioning, and i get kernel version
mismatches (due to the "custom" on the end of the EXTRAVERSION).

So my questions are:

1.  Am i assuming rightly that the installation kernel doesn't use
kernel versioning?  If so, how can i compile a module that will make the
module correctly for use in the installer?

2.  If that is not likely the problem, is there another way i can get my
system upgraded?  I've heard yum can actually do OS upgrades - is this
possible for going from RHL9 to FC1?

Thanks in advance,
Paul