kernel compile error

Mark McGlone dmcglone at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 23:07:28 UTC 2004

I was able to compile the 2.6 kernel once.

But I found that I'd forgotten a few things and had to recompile.

I did

     make mrproper
     make menuconfig (and reloaded my previous configuration)
     make

It churned along for a while then I got this error

       CC      drivers/pci/pci.o
       CC      drivers/pci/quirks.o
       HOSTCC  drivers/pci/gen-devlist
       DEVLIST drivers/pci/devlist.h
     /bin/sh: line 1: cd: drivers/pci: No such file or directory
     /bin/sh: line 1: ./gen-devlist: No such file or directory
     make[2]: *** [drivers/pci/devlist.h] Error 127
     make[1]: *** [drivers/pci] Error 2
     make: *** [drivers] Error 2

I have no problem comiling my 2.4 kernel, and like I said I was able to compile
the 2.6 kernel once. I downloaded this as an rpm from mirrors.kernel.org.

I tried this a few weeks ago and had the same result (a slightly earlier
version of the 2.6 kernel), except that time I was never able to get successful
compile at all.

Anyone know what's going on?

thanks,

Mark McGlone