PuTTY 0.54 rpms (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 21 08:34:29 UTC 2004

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

> WipeOut wrote:
>
>> Awesome, thanks dude!!.. I had no idea there was a Linux version of
>> PuTTY, I have been running the windows version under wine for ages..
>>
>> Later..
>

> Out of curiosity, why would you ever want to run PuTTY under wine
> rather than just using openssh or the other tools that PuTTY was
> written to emulate?

Quite simple really.. I usually need to map at least 3 ports to work
across the ssh link on each of the servers I am accessing.. So the
command line would end up being something like this..

This is a real PITA to remember or have to type out each time I want to
connect..

With PuTTY I am able to simply setup the profile and save it, then each
time I need to connect it simply a case of double clicking the profile
and logging in.. All the ports are maped and there is very little chance
of making a mistake..

I agree the the command line is easy enough when you are just wanting to
connect with a server in a standard terminal session..

Hope that explains it.. :)

Later..