Internet only as root

Paul Ryan paul at the-ryans.de
Sat Feb 21 14:32:08 UTC 2004

    Hi I have a problem accessing the internet. I can only access it as root. After numerous attempts to get my ADSL runing with the Internet setup wizzard and the network device control, without any luck.  The system would conect but it was like Mozilla, Gaim and Co. didn't know that I was conected.  I finnaly had luck with adsl-config, everything worked as root but only as root. When I boot to a normal user there is no ppp0 conection listed in the network control (and yes I did enable other users) when I use /usr/sbin/adsl-start it seems to conect no error messages but it is the same as with the internet conection wizzard Mozilla and Co. don't think that I'm conected.  One other note if I do any configuation with the network control I have to reconfigure my ppp0 conection with adsl-config again otherwise it won't conect to the internet again.
Thanks for the help in advance
Paul Ryan
Germany