64-bit Processors

Timothy J. Miller tj.miller at javaspotlet.com
Sat Feb 21 17:50:44 UTC 2004

Thanks everyone for the info.  To provide some context I am currently
running a PIII 500mhz with @1 gig of memory.  Since the installation of
Fedora I have noticed a decrease (although slightly) in performance and am
thinking of replacing the mb, proc, and memory. I tend to use my machines
for years with out upgrading (probably would still be running an old Pent.
Pro if a power outage hadn't blown it out 5 years ago) and want something
that will last without costing me an arm and a leg.  I would like to go
with a 64 bit arch since I tend to run the machines for so long but don't
want to take the country out of debt in the process. Replacing hardware
is nothing new to me, I recently finished a dual PIII box for a server and
64 bit is not a problem as I have @9 Sun Sparc systems up and running, so
any information, tips, etc... is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Tim