VPN options

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sun Feb 22 00:48:06 UTC 2004

On Feb 20, 2004, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> There are a number of options for the VPN - the most attractive
> are cipe ( http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html )
> and FreeSwan ( http://www.freeswan.org/

Cipe is probably not a good idea, as FC2 apparently won't have cipe
built into it.  IPsec is probably the way to go, if you have fixed IP
addresses on both ends.  If one of them has dynamic IP addresses and
you'd like to be able to reach it from the end with fixed IP
addresses, you may be in for some interesting challenges.  I'm still
trying to figure out how to do that myself, to enable me to reach my
home network (on a dynamic IP) from the university.  There are several
ugly ways to accomplish them, but none of them are as easy as cipe's
dynamic IP handling.  The one option I'm looking into is unencrypted
vtun over encrypted IPsec, but vtun isn't in the distro either :-(

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}