Giving up on Linux...

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 13:07:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > Stuff and nonsense. Any laptop will work with Linux. What won't work are
> > the winmodems they supply with them. Remember, all a laptop is is a
> > normal computer in a small case with more things on a single processor
> > to save space.
>
> Winmodems are one issue.

Yep - and an annoying one at that.

> But: will the power management stuff and ACPI work?

Yep

> But: will the wireless (Centrino!) work?
> (Will see how ndiswrapper works when I get mine...)

Kernel 2.6.3, yep

> But: will the graphical chipset work (in the correct resolution)?
> (Intel graphics sometimes support BIOS-supported modes, which means
> you're stuck with 1024x768 on a 1400x1050 notebook.)

Yep

> Are you *really* saying that *any* laptop will work except for
> (only) the Winmodem issue?

There may be some small issues, but essentially, yep. That said, the
cheaper and nastier they are, the more they don't work, but then, they
don't work properly with 98 or XP, so there's no difference.

TTFN

Paul

--
"Logic, my dear Zoe, is merely the ability to be wrong with authority"
Dr Who