Giving up on Linux...

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Feb 22 14:11:29 UTC 2004

xyzzy at hotpop.com wrote:

>On Sunday 22 February 2004 11:38 am, WipeOut wrote:
>

>>xyzzy at hotpop.com wrote:
>>

>>>... for the foreseeable future on my home system.

snip

>>>I have real problems seeing how Linux is going to make it to the desktop
>>>by 2005 with these kinds of road-blocks.
>>>
>>>Sad.
>>>

>>Obviously by the fact that you felt the need to post you message here
>>you are looking for some kind of confirmation about you decision.. The
>>people in this mailing list are all Linux users so I doubt you will get
>>any..
>>

>No, I'm not looking for some kind of confirmation.  I am looking for a system
>that works, and Linux is not working for me.  What, are you saying that
>"Linux users" comprise some sort of religion?
>
>I use Linux at work... I am a kernel hacker at work.  That is my job.  Redhat
>9 works for me at work because the motherboard is not completely state of the
>art.
>
>I am not looking for any sort of consensus or support for my "decision".  I
>would rather that Linux worked for me. It doesn't and THAT is what I am
>bothered by.  It seems that all of the problems with SMP systems locking up
>are not being addressed... where are the fixes for the bugs in BugZilla?
>Where is the vaunted Open Source community in all of this?

The Open Source Community includes YOU.

If you have specific complaints about functionality or desired features,
and you fail to voice those problems via bugzilla or the forum/mailing
lists then you by default are accepting things as they are.

I agree with the earlier poster who said you are simply looking for
confirmation on your decision.

I, for one, would rather put up with things that are not exactly right
and tell people what changes I would like, than have to put up with an
OS that limits me to doing what the vendor wants me to do, and makes me
subject to the vendors idea of what I want.