post installation problems

Chris Jones linux at stow-jones.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 14:25:00 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 Feb 2004 1:42 pm, Brian Marsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid that I am still fairly new to Linux, so please forgive my
> ignorance if I ask an annoying question. Also, I have tried to search
> the archives for this mail list but the redhat site always claims that
> it unavailable when I try to search so I can't be sure that someone else
> has already struggled with this problems.

I am also fairly new to linux, and very new to Fedora.

> The first problem is that the Add/Remove Applications facility does not
> appear to work. It runs, checks the packages I have installed, allows me
> to select new ones to install, instructs me as to which discs I will
> need, I then hit okay and it returns the following

My problem is with the up2date utility. It starts off OK by listing all the
packages that need downloading, but then will stop at the beginning of any
selected package download and "go to sleep" for as long as it takes to do
precisely nothing. I have to kill the process and start all over. The update
I am doing now comprises over 80 packages and I started earlier this morning
and do not envisage finishing today!

If anyone can help with this dilatory behaviour, I will be more than grateful.
Fedora is a really nice distribution.

> I am running the FC1 on a Dell Inspiron 4000 (PII Celeron 700, 256MB RAM
> with a Xircom 10/100 56K Modem). I have the GNOME desktop installed.
> Everything is from the ISO's downloaded a week ago.

I am running FC1 on a generic Athlon 2600 on a MSI K7N2 board with 512Mb of
RAM.

> I have to say, after coming from 14 years of MSDOS/Windows, I am pretty
> impressed with this stuff overall!

I have been using M$ since 1984 (approx) when the company I was then with
(reluctantly) switched from PC-DOS (IBM) to MS-DOS. Win2k was M$'s best OS by
far. Everything since is just downhill.....

Chris